Post-partum depression can seep into your life in the most insidious of ways. You may not feel like you're any more 'depressed' than any other new mother, until BAM! you can hardly wash your hair that day. You just. can't. do. things.
In the interest of celebrating small victories, I wanted to write about things I managed to do - productive things, or things just for me that I enjoyed. I'll admit, I'm writing this more for my own good than yours. But if nothing else, maybe you'll see that sometimes it's okay to be proud of seemingly normal or little everyday items.
- I have been out for short walks a few times over the past week. This is a big improvement over a few weeks ago. The only reason it wasn't longer/more frequent is the darned humidity.
- I have cleaned my house twice in the past week and a half.
- My car got washed today. I'm lazy with washing my car at the best of times, so this was a major victory. And I had fun doing it - it was moderately active alone time.
- I went to bed early when I needed to.
- I'm here, blogging, again!
- I've been taking my vitamin D. I suspect a large part of my depression was due to not getting enough sunlight and therefore not enough vitamin D.
- I ordered my text books, straightened away some other return-to-school business.
- Perhaps my largest victory this week was learning to stop fighting against the flow. For instance, there would be times that Baby Bird was playing by himself, and I would be posting to my online mommy group when he'd start to fuss. I used to find this incredibly frustrating, but then I realized, why bother getting frustrated? Once I started going with the flow, both Baby Bird and I were a lot happier minute-to-minute.
- I enjoyed 90% of my past week. There was one bad day, but it wasn't entirely bad, even.
Random Other Manic Monday Stuff:
- Part of the reason I haven't been blogging much these last weeks is because I went on vacation with my family, had a great visit from my in-laws last week, and have my grandparents in town this week. Life has been truly busy.
- My college hoodie and textbooks have arrived and I geeked out skimming my texts. Unfortunately, it's roughly a bagillion degrees here so no hoodie wearage yet. I long for fall.
- I look and feel a lot better since eliminating dairy from my diet. The huge dark circles under my eyes are gone, and I'm certainly no more rested so I attribute it to dairy.
- I have a whole bunch of posts in draft form - promise to get'em up soon.
Have a great Monday, everyone! Thanks for stopping by!